BBC News: “Anger over child stop and search”
The mother of a nine-year-old boy has lodged a complaint after her son was stopped and searched by police.
So let’s take a look at the facts here:
with friends in Camberwell, south London
Police are legally able to search children under the age of 10
“Looking at him you can see he is not a suspect,” she added.
“It is not possible for a nine-year-old to commit a criminal offence.”
Jadan Shepherd was searched while he was sitting on a wall
- South London isn’t a particularly nice place; and that’s not just me being stereotypical and rude. Take a look at South London Press Today, or the map I created of teenage killings in London.
- That doesn’t mean they should, sure - but they absolutely can. From the kick off, she doesn’t seem to have much of a leg to stand on.
- No, Sandra, you think he’s not a suspect. Because he’s your son. To me, my friends, the police and everyone else, he probably looks as thuggish as every other kid. Maybe more, maybe less.
- Whoop-di-fucking-do. We should definitely let all the nine-year-olds out there just walk around with knives that they’ve picked up from home then. In fact, let’s start handing them out. Jesus. Also, this quote is stupid; common sense dictates that it is possible for a nine-year-old to commit a criminal offence, but it’s not possible to convict them for it. IANAL and all that.
- He’s called Jadan Shepherd. Kidding, kidding, that’s not a reason. Kind of.